Wednesday, May 5, 2010







Singing the blues while the lady cats cry…..

Yes! One of my favourite albums of all time, Stray Cats - Built for Speed. Let me just tell you, this album does not collect dust, it is one of my all time favourite albums. I bought it when I was going through my rockabilly phase – I was kinda gender confused at the time though, favouring the look of nicely done D.A.*, cuffed jeans, faux converse and white t-shirt over what a traditional rockabilly girl might look like (had I had access to the Web, I might have known what a rockabilly chick should like and attempted to mirror that image instead!)

This album would have been bought when I was about 14 years old. I bought it at a second hand record store on Rideau Street, downtown Ottawa, and fully admit to buying it because I thought the boys in the band were cute. So infatuated with the Stray Cats was I, that when Sam Taylor on CBC’s Video Hits played the Rock this Town video, I recorded the video on our family VHS, paused it when there was a close-up of the drum set, and set to work drawing the best damn cat on my jean jacket. I created this work of art with red and black jiffy markers and some liquid paper. I cut off the sleeves of the jacket, threw it on over a white t-shirt (sleeves rolled up of course), turned up the collar and I looked awesome – kinda like a pretty boy. The jean jacket disappeared, I suspect because it was so awesome someone else wanted to have it for them self. I still think about that jacket and miss it. It’s one of those things that I wish I could pass down to my girls.

When I was a teenager, I was called a poseur more than once. I tended to adopt the look of the music I into at the time. I’ve had my mod periods, punk rock periods, hippie periods (that wasn’t pretty) and even a little grunge. It hurt my feelings at the time; I didn’t really understand why I had to stick to one look. I have to say though, the rockabilly phase was the most fun phase I went through. I still love the music for it’s ability to make me want to dance, tap my toes, play an imaginary bass. I still love the fashion, the tattoos, and yes, I still have a weakness for a man with some good grease in his hair.

The moment I discovered the Stray Cats, I developed a love for rockabilly music. I guess I worked my way backwards, starting with the Stray Cats, then moving back in time to discover Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochrane, Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, etc etc.
I have never seen the Stray Cats in concert, but did see the Brian Setzer Orchestra at Bluesfest last year and did they ever put on a show. I think I smiled the whole time and wore a hole in my boot with all my toe tapping.

Honestly, just try not bopping on the big dance floor…..



*oh, and

6 comments:

  1. "play an imaginary bass"

    I think it's about time to make that real, not imaginary!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. The album and your fashion sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People are so stupid that they have to force each other into one category forever. And you have to look like an EXACT stereotype of that label or else=Poseur! LOL

    We should just be free to like what we like and dress how we feel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is soooo funny because just last weekend I picked up this exact same LP from Value Village for my daughter. She's been collecting records for a while and I found this one and an old Queen album. She said "What's Stray Cats?" And I told her how stunningly super cool they were. I don't have a report back yet on what she thinks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm flat broke but I don't care...

    Does anyone not love Rockabilly when it's done well? (And I have a thing for Seltzer Big Band sound. Killer Jump Jive and Wail)

    ReplyDelete
  6. rob - guess what i am getting as a mothers day/anniversary present!
    alison - thanks!
    pauline - i wish you had been around when i was a teenager....
    xup - what's stray cats??? oh i hope she loves.
    nat - i know, right? you'd have to be a really cranky individual not enjoy the big band sounds.

    ReplyDelete