Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Dead Kennedys - Too Drunk to Fuck




I admit I was a little young bringing this one home. Likely not really understanding the title all that well (what can I say, I'm a romantic). I was 13 years old and in a full blown rebellion. I was experimenting with punk rock (read: copying images on British postcards of punk rockers that I had seen). I was hanging out with the punk/alternative/misfit crowd at our cow pattie high school and being exposed to all kinds of music. My thirteen year old heart was with Billy Idol (he'll pop up in the collection later) but the part of me that wanted to be badass and rebellious was drooling over this album. I don't think I bought it, I think someone had given it to me. I brought it upstairs to my bedroom and took a listen and it....sucked. I didn't like it. I think I even played it on the wrong rpm....sometimes it's hard to tell with Jello Biafra. But, the title titillated, I wanted to like it, so I kept playing it.

I guess my dad walked by my room at one point and paused long enough to hear the lyrics. A note on my dad: He was always pretty cool with whatever look I was experimenting with. He talked my mom down a few times when she she was freaking out about who I was hanging out with and what I was wearing. He was patient and seemed to understand he was living with a teen who was just figuring things out. One thing he couldn't tolerate though was obcenities, or anything that appeared to degrade or disrespect. So, the idea of his daughter listening to something called Too Drunk to Fuck did not go over well. It was the first full on fight we ever had, he confiscated the album and I was outraged. Even at the tender age of thirteen I realized that this fight put my dad and I at a crossroads and he wouldn't necessarily support me anymore. I felt that pull to be a "good kid", it was exhausting being rebellious and surly all the time. Unfortunately, I chose to kick up my heels for a few more years.

The album eventually made it back to my collection. I don't listen to it, and when I come across it I get a sick little feeling in my stomach thinking about that fight. But, it is a reminder of who I was, and when my girls hit thirteen, driving me batshit crazy, I will think of my own rebellion and the respect my dad showed me when I was going through it.

Dead Kennedys 12" single

A side:
Too Drunk to Fuck

B side:
The Prey

4 comments:

  1. One... Happy to be commenting on this blog.

    Dead Kennedy and I have an odd relationship. They always felt like the band I should like more than I do. That being said. I do love Bleed for Me and Nazi Punk Fuck Off a bit more than a woman my age should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great single to have in your collection. It's sure to be a collectors item one day if it is not already. My first punk album was Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables and it changed my life! Jello played town last week and it was a great show.

    Rock on girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I was all psyched up for my own kid to hit the rebellious years and be as obnoxious and difficult as I was...and she's not. Maybe your kids will rebell by being all prim and conservative and listening to Debbie Boone or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nat - thanks! Age should never reflect musical taste :)

    Rob - so glad you found me here! You may be able to relate/remember a few anecdotes here. say, did Acid Corporation ever release an album? :)

    ReplyDelete